Wednesday, April 6, 2022

2022 TCM Classic Film Festival Picks




Since others are dusting off their blogs to post their #TCMFF film picks, I figured I'd do the same, so here goes!


After studying, making some early picks and already changing my mind, here are a few thoughts about where I'll be during the 3.5 days of the official festival.


There are some pre-film events on Thursday that I highly recommend attending and those are both in Blossom Ballroom at the Roosevelt Hotel:

  • Meet TCM is your chance to hear from actual TCM employees including programmers, marketers, managers, etc. You may learn something new during this panel discussion, but generally their comments and answers are pretty carefully thought out, so don't expect to hear anything earth-shattering
  • So You Think You Know Movies is the annual beat-down that it is hosted by Rialto Pictures founder and Film Forum programmer Bruce Goldstein.  This is a multiple-choice quiz where teams of people can play together to help each other out.  The answers are still impossible.  I typically get about 2 out of 15 correct.

On to the films!
My picks are highlighted in green.


Thursday
  • We start things off with one of the toughest slots of the festival.  Since I don't have a 'big-wig' pass, I won't be seeing E.T. THE EXTRA TERRESTRIAL (1982).  That leaves me with a tough choice between a great MGM Technicolor musical, a charming pre-code heist film and a Sidney Poitier film I've never seen.  Since I've seen JEWEL ROBBERY (1933) twice this year, I'm going to go with THE SLENDER THREAD (1965).  Poitier, Bancroft and soundtrack by Quincy Jones should be delightful.
  • Even tougher than the last slot...any of these films would be great to see on the big screen.  My favorite Day/Hudson film, a Preston Sturges comedy, or my choice for the evening A STAR IS BORN (1937).  I've always loved the three-strip Technicolor look of this film and the performances by March and Gaynor. (By the way, three years ago I attended THE MIRACLE OF MORGAN'S CREEK [1944] where a packed house was howling throughout the film.  If you're thinking of catching HAIL THE CONQUERING HERO [1944], you will probably not be disappointed.)

Friday
  • I'll wake up early to catch MAISIE GETS HER MAN (1942)...my first trek to the tiny TCL Multiplex House 4.  I'm looking forward to the intro by comedic actress Kate Flannery who's been to previous TCM Film Festivals.
  • For the noon-time block I'm passing on COMING HOME (1978) even though Bruce Dern will be on hand to chat before the film.  Instead, I'll catch much lighter fare with new-to-me SPY SMASHER STRIKES BACK (1942) and A LITTLE SONG, A LITTLE DANCE (2022)...a 40-minute clip-reel from Paramount of song and dance numbers introduced by head of Paramount Archives, Andrea Kalas.
  • For the afternoon block, I'm going with QUEEN BEE (1955) because it's a Joan Crawford melodrama...enough said.  Another good choice here would be PRIDE OF THE MARINES (1945) a really nice 'coming home form the war' film with John Garfield, Eleanor Parker, Dane Clark, and a favorite of mine Ann Doran.  Also here is a touching performance by Rosemary DeCamp (maybe I'm talking myself into seeing this instead!)
  • Next up is COCKTAIL HOUR (1933) a new-to-me pre-code with Bebe Daniels.  With this choice I'm skipping both Bruce Dern intros as this is opposite NEBRASKA (2013) which is a wonderful film if you've never seen it.
  • I'll try to get into THE GAY DIVORCEE (1934), my second favorite Fred & Ginger film after SWING TIME (1936).  But this is in House 4 and the time between films is kinda short, so if I get blocked out, my 2nd choice would be I, THE JURY 3D (1953)
  • I'm not really hot on the midnight film on Friday night and it just so happens that The New Beverly Cinema (about two miles south) is screening KILL BILL (2003) as a midnight film.  Imagine...seeing a Tarantino film in a Tarantino theater!

Saturday
  • I'll be plenty tired after staying out late to catch KILL BILL, so I may be drifting off during the entertaining ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES (1938) to kick off Saturday.  The hooligans appear this time alongside Cagney, Bogart, O'Brien, and Ann Sheridan.
  • Plenty of time to queue up for House 4 and THREE ON A MATCH (1932), one of my favorite pre-codes...and Joanie on the big screen!
  • After this, I'll probably grab some 'to-go' food from the Starbucks at the Hollywood and Highland (the shopping center that has won an award for the ugliest building in LA) and eat while I hike up Highland Ave. for perhaps the greatest pre-code of them all: BABY FACE (1933).  Though I wouldn't fault anyone for catching THE WIZARD OF OZ (1939) on that huge Grauman's Chinese screen.
  • I'm planning on staying 'up north' and catching COUNSELLOR AT LAW (1933), a film I've only seen once back in 2015.
  • Next I'll make my first trip to the aforementioned Grauman's to catch SINGIN' IN THE RAIN (1952).
  • I'll wrap up the day with POLYESTER (1981) with intro by long-time John Waters actress Mink Stole along with Mario Cantone.  The intro should be a scream and the film--though not my favorite Waters effort--will be great midnight fare.

Sunday
  • I wasn't really sure what to catch in the morning slot until I read Sabina's post that mentioned the cinematic beauty of PAPER MOON (1973).  I've seen this once or twice on the small screen and it's a lovely piece of cinematography...it should be magnificent on that Grauman's screen.
  • Next up is new-to-me Siodmak noir-ish thriller FLY-BY-NIGHT (1942).  I really don't know anything about this film, so it'll be a treat to watch it at the festival.
  • I'll re-queue for House 4 to catch EVENINGS FOR SALE (1932) introduced by Leonard Maltin.  This may be the only film I see on 35mm.
  • I'm undecided on the fourth film of the day as most of the slots are TBA, this may be opportunity to catch THE GAY DIVORCEE if I get locked out Friday night.  Or I could finally get that bowl of ramen with egg from JINYA Ramen Express.
  • I'll close out the fest with Blaxploitation COFFY (1973) with an intro interview with Pam Grier.  That ought to be fun.  You really can't go wrong with closing your fest with the other two scheduled films (A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN or silent with live accompaniment 7TH HEAVEN).

Finally
I'll make a few circuits at the closing party, maybe get a pic with Alicia Malone, before heading out for a late night meal at Mel's Diner or In-and-Out (or perhaps a Hollywood Blvd street hotdog.)




If you need a venti green tea, a quad espresso, or some food to-go...here's a map with the Starbucks near Hollywood Blvd. and Highland Ave.  Not shown is the one on the north side of the Hollywood and Highland shopping center.






Here are some other friends who have posted their TCMFF plans:



















No comments:

Post a Comment